2.01 INTENT AND PURPOSE
(a) This ordinance is deemed necessary to achieve the following purposes:
1. PROMOTE ORDERLY DEVELOPMENT – To protect the character and maintain the stability of residential, business, and industrial areas within the City, and to promote the orderly and beneficial development of such areas.
2. REGULATE INTENSITY OF USE – To regulate the intensity of use of lot areas, and to determine the area of open spaces surrounding buildings necessary to provide adequate light and air, privacy and convenience of access to property and to protect the public health.
3. REGULATE LOCATION OF BUILDINGS – To establish building lines and the locations of buildings designed for residential, commercial, manufacturing, or other uses within such lines.
4. ESTABLISH STANDARDS OF DEVELOPMENT – To fix reasonable standards to which buildings or structures shall conform.
5. ESTABLISH DISTRICTS – To divide the municipality into districts of such number, shape, area, and of such different classes (according to use of land and buildings, height and bulk of buildings, intensity of the use of lot area, area of open spaces) as may be deemed best suited to carry out the purposes of this ordinance.
6. PROHIBIT INCOMPATIBLE USES – To prohibit uses, buildings or structures which are incompatible with the character of development or the permitted uses within specified Zoning Districts.
7. REGULATE ALTERATIONS OF EXISTING BUILDINGS – To prevent such additions to, and alterations or remodeling of, existing buildings or structures as would not comply with the restrictions and limitations imposed hereunder.
8. LIMIT CONGESTION IN STREETS – To limit congestion in the public streets and so protect the public health, safety, convenience, and the general welfare by providing for off-street parking of motor vehicles and for the loading and unloading of commercial vehicles.
9. PROTECT AGAINST HAZARDS – To provide protection against fire, explosion, noxious fumes, and other hazards in the interest of the public health, safety, comfort, and the general welfare.
10. CONSERVE TAXABLE VALUE OF LAND – To conserve the taxable value of land and buildings throughout the city.