- A new blue garbage toter will be delivered to your residence prior to June 1st.
- Refuse must be placed in the 95-gallon container provided.
- All refuse must be placed at curbside by 6:00 am on the collection day.
- If a collection day falls on a holiday Monday through Friday, collection for that week will occur one day later than the regularly scheduled day. These holidays include: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- One bulk item will be allowed per week. Bulk items include:
- Furniture pieces
- Air conditioning units
- Washing machines
- Clothes dryers
- Water heaters
- Stoves, ranges, ovens
- Please note clarifications to above:
- Refrigerator and air conditioning units must have Freon removed by a qualified service technician prior to pick up.
- As a safety precaution, please remove the doors from refrigerators and freezers.
- Carpet must be cut and rolled into 4-foot lengths. Each roll must not weigh more than 50 pounds. Rolled carpeting and padding must be secured with tape or string.
- Small home improvement project debris will be collected provided it is properly contained in a can and/or bundled and does not exceed 50 pounds in weight.
- Large amounts of homeowner-generated construction debris will require roll-off containers and/or dumpsters which are available at an additional cost.
Restricted Items for garbage collection
The following items will NOT be collected:
- Roofing materials
- Large automotive parts
- Sod, dirt, boulders and rocks
- Permanent swimming pools
- Medical wastes
- Charcoal and hot ash
- Materials from floods or fires or evictions.
- Materials too large for the collection vehicle or for one person to lift.
- Hazardous waste such as flammable materials, automotive batteries, oil base paints, insecticides, oil, anti-freeze. (Please call Illinois Environmental Protection Agency at 217-782-9285 for directions regarding disposal of these items.)
- Landscape waste must be placed in a biodegradable paper yard waste bag available at local retail stores or in a CLEARLY identified container that is no greater than 35-gallons and weighs no more than 50 pounds.
- Landscape waste must be separate from garbage and recycling.
- Landscape waste will be picked up from April 1st through November 30th.
- All reusable containers for Landscape waste must be labeled “Landscape Waste Only.” Container labels can be obtained at Hickory Hills City Hall for no charge.
- Sod is not yard waste and will not be collected.
- Brush and branches must be contained, bagged, or bundled and tied. All pieces must be cut into 4-foot lengths or less. Branches should be less than 2 1/2″ n diameter.
Restricted Items for Landscape waste
The followinq items will NOT be collected:
- All households in Hickory Hills will receive one 65-gallon container for recycling prior to June.
- The recycling toter should be placed at curb every week (instead of every other week, this is new).
- Due to the automation of the recycling truck, please keep recycling toters at least three feet from other toters, mailboxes, and parked cars and place at the curb.
Items acceptable for recycling include:
- Newspapers, newsprint, mixed paper and jun
- Cardboard boxes (flattened)
- Chipboard boxes (cereal, shoe, beverage cart
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Phone books
- Pizza boxes
- Clear jars and bottles
- Green jars and bottles
- Blue jars and bottles
- Brown jars and bottles
- Food and beverage cans (rinse and remove labels)
- Aluminum foil
- Pie tins
- PET #1 -2-liter or other size beverage containers
- HDPE #2 -milk and water jugs, laundry and household detergent bottles
- PVC #3 -vegetable oil bottles, window cleaner and detergent bottles
- LDPE #4 -food grade bottles
- PP #5 -yogurt cups and syrup bottles
- Other #7 plastics
Restricted items for GLASS
The following glass items will NOT be collected:
- Plate glass
- Glass cookware
- Light bulbs
Restricted items for PLASTICS
The following plastic items will NOT be collected:
- Plastic bags
- Polystyrene (#6) or Styrofoam products such as take-out containers or plates
- Bottles that contained motor oils
- Bottles that contained pesticides
- Bottles that contained chemical